Last Revised and Effective Date: October 2020
New York Solar Maintenance LLC, AKA American Solar Repair (collectively, “NYSM”, “we”, “us” or “our”) care about the processing, confidentiality, and safety of your personal data.
- What is personal data?
- What personal data do we collect and when do we collect it?
- For what purpose is your personal data collected and used?
- Who are the recipients of your personal data?
- How do we protect your personal data?
- What are your choices and how can you exercise them?
- Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
- Contact Details
- Information for California residents
1. What is personal data?
The term “personal data” refers to any information about an identified physical person or a physical person that may be directly or indirectly identified.
2. What personal data do we collect and when do we collect it?
We collect information about you in a variety of ways depending on how you interact with us and our products and services, including through our websites, media channels, online and mobile applications, advertisements, and in selected stores.
- The following provides examples of the type of personal data that we collect from you and how we use that information.
|Context||Information We Collect||Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Information|
|Create a customer account||If you submit a form on one of our websites, we collect your name, email address, and phone number, if you choose to provide it. Within your customer account, you can also store additional information such as mailing address, phone number, and payment methods. We also collect information relating to the service that we perform if any.||We use your information to perform our contract with you to process your orders and to provide you with the solar services you have requested.|
|Order goods from our websites||If you hire NYSM for a solar service, we collect your name, email address, phone number, service address, billing address and payment details (payment card number, expiration date, CVV/CVC, etc).||We use your information to perform our contract with you to process your orders and to provide you with the solar services you have requested.|
|Make purchases in our stores||When you sign up for one of our mailing lists, we collect your email address, phone number, or postal address, depending on your selection.||We share information about our products, services, offers, news and events with those individuals that consent to receive such information. We also have a legitimate interest in sharing information about our products or services.|
|Participate in surveys||If you contact us, such as via our website, customer service center, or social network pages, we collect your name, contact information (email and/or phone number) as well as any other information you provide to us in order to reply.||We have a legitimate interest in managing customer relations with respect to any requests for information or complaints that we receive. We also have a legitimate interest in responding to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, and other requests.|
|Contact us||If you contact us to notify us of an undesirable reaction concerning any of our services, we collect your name, contact information, as well as any other information you provide to us, including specific health data if you choose to provide it.||We have a legitimate interest in receiving, processing, following up, and responding to, your reports as part of solar service obligations.|
|Report potential adverse reactions||If you interact with us through our official page on social networks, or if you publish content on a social network or participate in online forums, we collect any content that you choose to provide, which may include your social media handle or account profile.||We have a legitimate interest in communicating with you, understanding your opinions, and providing tailored services.|
|Interact with us on social networks||If you take part in an event, sweepstakes, contest, or other similar promotion, we collect information about you including your name and contact information.||We have a legitimate interest in operating and managing participation in our events, sweepstakes, contests, and other similar promotions.|
|Take part in an event, sweepstakes, contest, or promotion||If you apply for a job with our company, or become an employee, we collect information necessary to process your application or to retain you as an employee. This may include, among other things, our name, contact details, curriculum vitae, application letter, and Social Security Number. Providing this information is required for employment..||We have a legitimate interest in using information about job applicants to manage applications as well as in anticipation of a contract of employment. We use information about current employees to perform our contract of employment. In some contexts, we are also required by law to collect information about our employees. We also have a legitimate interest in using your information to have efficient staffing and workforce operations.|
- We also use the following technologies to automatically collect personal data when you browse our websites, interact without our content, advertisements, and related features.
|Context||Information We Collect||Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Information|
We have a legitimate interest in making our websites operate efficiently. We also have a legitimate interest in serving you targeted advertisements.
Where required by law, we will obtain your consent for the deployment of cookies on our websites.
|Cookies and Third Party Tracking||We participate in behavior-based advertising. This means that a third party uses technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of our website so that they can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interests on our website, or on other websites. For more information about cookies, please see the “Cookies and Similar Tracking Technology” section below.||
We have a legitimate interest in engaging in behavior-based advertising and capturing website analytics.
Where required by law, we will obtain your consent for the deployment of cookies on our websites.
|Web beacons, clear pixels, or pixel tags||A “web beacon” (also called a pixel tag or a clear GIF) is a small graphic image placed on website pages, e-mails, advertising, and other marketing communications that can be used for such things as recording the pages and advertisements clicked on by users, or tracking the performance of email marketing campaigns. This may also include information about your device or browser.||We have a legitimate interest in understanding how you interact with our websites to better improve them, and to understand your preferences and interests in order to select offerings that you might find most useful. We have a legitimate interest in understanding the effectiveness of our features and advertising, as well as interactions with our e-mail and advertising. We also have a legitimate interest in detecting and preventing fraud.|
|Web logs||We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.||We have a legitimate interest in monitoring our networks and the visitors to our websites. Among other things, it helps us understand which of our services is the most popular.|
- In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties, business partners, our affiliates, or publicly available sources. For example, if you submit a job application, or become an employee, we may conduct a background check.
3. For what purpose is your personal data collected and used?
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use data in the following ways:
- To identify you when you visit our websites or solar networks.
- To secure online transactions, prevent fraud and payment incidents, and manage debt collection (see our terms and conditions for more details).
- To manage and optimize customer experience by improving our knowledge of our customers.
- To propose appropriate, tailored services, particularly when we enhance our services.
- To conduct statistical analyses to develop management, measuring and reporting tools in order to adjust and improve our sales and marketing.
- To send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to our services, sales, or promotions.
- To manage our relationships as well as for internal administrative purposes.
Although the sections above describe our primary purpose in collecting your personal data, in many situations we have more than one purpose. Our collection and processing of your personal data is based in different contexts upon your consent, our need to perform a contract, our legal or regulatory obligations, and/or our legitimate interest in conducting our business.
4. Who are the recipients of your personal data?
- Business Transaction. If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or our assets, we will share personal data with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may share personal data with third parties in response to subpoenas, warrants, court orders, or other requests from legal or regulatory authorities; in connection with any legal process; or to comply with relevant legal, regulatory or treaty obligations. We may also share your personal data in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies. In addition, we may share your personal data to comply with your request for the shipment of products to or the provision of services by a third party intermediary.
- Public Forums. Some of our websites or solar networks provide the opportunity to post comments or reviews in a public forum. If you decide to submit information on these pages, that information may be publically available.
- Service Providers. We share your personal data with service providers. Among other things, service providers help us to administer and maintain our websites, send communications, provide technology solutions at counters in our stores, conduct surveys, assist with customer service, provide technical support, process payments, provide anti-fraud services, manage regulatory alerts or notifications, provide marketing solutions, assist in order fulfillment, and organize events.
5. How do we protect your personal data?
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal data. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of a breach to your personal data we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
Some of our websites permit you to create an account. When you do you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of your account by someone else that has obtained your password, whether or not such access or use has been authorized by you. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account.
6. What are your choices and how can you exercise them?
You may have the following choices regarding your personal data:
- Access to Your Personal Data You may request access to your personal data, including a copy of your personal data, by following the instructions described in the Contact Details section below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal data that we have about you.
- Changes to Your Personal Data. We rely on you to update and correct your personal data. Most of our websites allow you to modify or delete your account profile. Note that we may keep historical information in our backup files as permitted by law. If our website does not permit you to update or correct certain personal data, you may contact us at the address described in the Contact Details section below.
- Objection to Certain Processing. You may object to our use or disclosure of your personal data by contacting us at the address described in the Contact Details section below.
- Revocation of Consent. If you revoke your consent for the processing of personal data then we may no longer be able to provide you services. In some cases, we may limit or deny your request to revoke consent if the law permits or requires us to do so, or if we are unable to adequately verify your identity. You may revoke consent to processing (where such processing is based upon consent) by contacting us at the address described in the Contact Details section below.
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize or respond to automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include “Do Not Track” instructions.
- Promotional Emails. If, at any time, you no longer wish to receive details of our offers, news and events, you can unsubscribe using the hypertext link provided for this purpose in each mail we send you. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service related communications.
- Promotional Text Messages. If you receive a text message from us that contains promotional information you can opt-out of receiving future text messages by replying “STOP.”
Please note that to protect your personal data we must be able to verify your identity before we can process your request to exercise any of the choices described in this section. We may conduct the verification process by email or phone, and we will ask you to provide information such as your name, contact information, and any additional relevant information based on your relationship. We will then match this to the information we maintain in our records.
In some circumstances, certain individuals may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to access or delete personal data. We will require verification that the authorized agent has permission to make such a request.
7. Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
We use a variety of technologies such as cookies, web beacons, clear GIF, pixels, internet tags, and browser/web logs to gather information when you visit or interact with our websites, mobile apps, and email communications. We use this information for a variety of purposes, such as to make our websites work properly, to make a user’s experience more efficient, to understand how visitors interact with our websites, and for advertising purposes.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer or mobile device by websites you visit. Cookies are either “persistent cookies” or “session cookies.” Persistent cookies allow websites to remember your information and settings when you return to the website or interact with our services repeatedly. Persistent cookies stay on your browser until you delete them or they expire. Session cookies only last for as long as your session and are erased when you close your browser.
The following information explains the cookies we use and why:
- Necessary and Functional. Some technology is needed for the operation of our website. This includes cookies that enable basic functions such as page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. Because our website cannot function properly without this technology, it is always active. Note that while you can set your browser to block this type of technology, doing so may cause some parts of our websites to not work.
- Analytics. Analytics technologies are primarily used to improve our products, services, and user experiences, including the operation and layout of our website. Analytics may be conducted by us or one of our service providers. Some tracking is used to collect information about how you use our website, such as which pages you visit, how often you visit, and where you are visiting from. If you do not allow us to use analytics cookies and technologies, we will not be able to easily monitor our performance to improve our services.
- Advertising. Advertising tracking technology, such as behavioral advertising cookies, may be set by us, or by third parties. The technology is used to deliver advertisements that may be relevant to you, to limit the number of times you see an advertisement, to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns, or to understand your behavior after you view an advertisement.
You can set your browser to refuse some or all cookies, or to indicate when a cookie is being sent to your computer. However, this may prevent our websites or services from working properly. You can also set your browser to delete cookies every time you finish browsing. For more information about how to manage browser cookies, please follow the instructions provided by your browser.
8. Contact Details
You can exercise any of the rights described above in the “What are your choices and how can you exercise them?” section above directly with NYSM by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are submitting a request on behalf of another person, you must provide proof that you have been authorized by the individual to act on his or her behalf. In certain circumstances, we may ask the individual to verify his or her own identity directly with us. Please note, we may deny a request from an authorized agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
For all questions relating to the collection and processing of your data by NYSM, you can contact our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. If you are not satisfied with our response and are in the European Union, you may have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority.
9. Additional Information for California Residents
California law indicates that organizations should disclose whether certain categories of personal data are collected, “sold,” or disclosed for an organization’s “business purpose” (as those terms are defined under California law). You can find a list of the categories of information that we collect and share about online visitors and customers and how we share that information here. If you would like more information concerning the categories of personal data (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for those parties to use for direct marketing, please contact us using the information in the Contact Details section above. We do not discriminate against California consumers who exercise any of their rights described in this policy.
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices: